The crash of lightning awakened the Swartzendruber household around 3:30 a.m. Friday.
“All of a sudden there was just a huge crack, boom, bang, whatever,” Nancy Swartzendruber said.
She figured lightning had struck nearby. She just didn’t realize how close nearby was until she heard water running in the basement.
Lightning had struck her home in north Kalona, probably on a gas line running to the fireplace.
The intensity of the strike melted the gas line and a water line.
“Thankfully, the water coming out put out the fire,” she said.
Jeremy Kuenster, from Kuenster’s Plumbing and Heating, came out and located the damaged lines and shut off gas and electricity.
Swatzendruber said there were many appliances that needed to be replaced, including the water heater, air conditioner and furnace. Plus all of the gas lines will need to be replace throughout the house.
Still she is thankful that the damage was no worse than it was.
“We are grateful no one was hurt, and we still have a roof over our heads,” she said.